To self-learn WordPress or enroll for an online course?
Should you self-learn Word Press or enroll for an online course?
If you want to take your words to the World Wide Web then you should consider learning WordPress, the world’s most popular Content Management System in great demand today. If you are a novice to the world of WordPress, then you will be amazed at the many learning opportunities presented to you. So is it best to self-learn WordPress or enroll for an online course?
It was recently announced that in the year prior to 2013, WordPress was downloaded on an average 89 times per minute. This itself goes to say that there are innumerable blogs and online course websites that offer to make you a WordPress pro overnight but you need to remember that you cannot learn everything about WordPress overnight. Anyone can set up a blog overnight and have it running but without knowledge of WordPress, you will still be learning new tricks of the trade for a long time to come. If you are desirous about learning HTML then you should be prepared for a long and arduous learning process in front of you.
The question to be asked is whether it is better to learn WordPress on your own or should you enroll for an online course. There are pros and cons for each way of learning and with these benefits and disadvantages in clear sight; you should be able to make a wise choice.
The advantages of self-teaching WordPress
• You can learn WordPress for free- There are several online tutorials and you will find many videos on YouTube that teach you how to go about learning the management system.
• You can go at your own pace- One of the greatest advantages of self-learning is that you do not have to be bound by set portion limits and you can learn at your own pace.
• A sense of self accomplishment- Learning any new skills or subject tends to infuse you with a great sense of self accomplishment.
The drawbacks of learning WordPress on your own are:
• It takes a lot of time- Google searches will help you with garnering information on how to start your own website and keep it running but you might end up being overwhelmed with all this information without a proper teaching aid.
• You will not know where to start- You will end up spending lots of time in deciding the source you trust so that you can start your self-teaching.
• No one to answer your questions- If it is your first time learning, WordPress then you may have several questions and with self-teaching you will find no one to answer them.
• You may be confused a lot- If you are not tech savvy then you may be very confused while learning WordPress.
The advantages of learning the content management system through an online course are:
• At the end of your course you will have a fully functional website with plugins, links to social networking websites and content published.
• An online course will have a start point and an end point and everything of the course content in well planned and taught.
• You can contact the blog management through email support
• A community or forum for students if often part of the offering of the course.
The two main drawbacks of an online WordPress course are the cost and the time and commitment you will have to invest while doing the online course.
A well laid out WordPress online course will offer you set and tried and tested learning modules with assignments and tests all laid out over a period of time. At the same you should not forget that there are several successful bloggers who have learn WordPress on their own without paying a penny for it.